Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Nick Piombino's Fait Accompli

I hate blogs. I agree with what Artaud said:

"People who come out of nowhere to try and put into words any part of what goes on in their minds are pigs."

Of course I myself have come out of nowhere to try to put into words many parts of what goes on in my mind. And I have a blog. That makes me a pig (plus I live near a pig -- see "A Pig Grows in Brooklyn"). Or, at the very least, ambivalent.

Nick Piombino has something interesting to say about ambivalence:

"The ability to tolerate ambivalence, or ambiguity, can create an opportunity to wonder, to wander, daydream, to think, to puzzle or figure things out. Full circle: isn't this often what is wanted from artistic expression in the first place?"

That quote is from Nick's recent book, fait accompli, a compilation (or, rather, a mindful layering) of blog and journal entries covering many years (the blog entries span 2/03 - 5/03, but the journal entries reach back into the '70's). I read it in its entirety during my almost three-hour wait at the podiatrist's office today (I re-broke a bone). The book is absolutely redolent with the possibilities of thought(s), the opportunities created by situations and/or absence of. Here's an entry, perhaps my favorite:

"How easy it is to turn away from the difficult and obscure and how natural it is, in order to live. But inside here, in the ordered and still world of words and images it is as equally natural to pause before the opaque and the mysterious and to comtemplate the unknown and the unknowable ...

"Of all the many things that are hard to do, and even almost impossible sometimes, the hardest thing there is to do is wait and see."

On this beautiful day I'm re-reading Nick's book and re-thinking my blog, wondering if I can make it the record of a brilliant and fascinating mind -- as Nick's is.

3 Comments:

Blogger Urkat said...

Ambivalence reminds me of a good saying I read today: "If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague."

9:35 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ambivalence is a state of having simultaneous, conflicting feelings toward a person or thing.[1] Stated another way, ambivalence is the experience of having thoughts and emotions of both positive and negative valence toward someone or something. A common example of ambivalence is the feeling of both love and hate for a person. The term also refers to situations where "mixed feelings" of a more general sort are experienced, or where a person experiences uncertainty or indecisiveness concerning something. The expressions "cold feet" and "sitting on the fence" are often used to describe the feeling of ambivalence.

Sydney Hotels

3:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

情趣用品,情趣,
電動按摩棒,G點,
AV女優,跳蛋,
跳蛋,潤滑液,
情趣精品,SM,
吊帶襪,情人趣味用品,
角色扮演,充氣娃娃,
性感睡衣,自慰器,
自慰杯,電動自慰器,
威而柔,逼真按摩棒,
振動按摩棒 ,按摩棒,
AV,情人趣味千奈,

4:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home