Friday, December 08, 2006

From "Sic Transit" (7)

I'm starting to believe that C and D were not anomalies. Perhaps their precedent was set back in '77, by B.

A senior year transfer student, B's elfin features and pentacle necklace recalled the youthful insouciance of Stevie Nicks, while her flippant promiscuousness suggested a glamorous Los Angeles groupie. But she was different from the others, those Aerosmith-loving others who sewed Rolling Stones tongue logo patches onto their crotches and wafted a cloud of strawberry lip gloss, Love's Baby Soft, Key West cigarettes and Clairol Herbal Essence. When B threw back her head to a Foghat song she was pure beauty like a surprise of butterflies once native to these shores but now, sadly, no more. One day at lunch we sat next to each other at the counter of the Back-of-the-Yards Diner and decided to ditch classes together. It was the first day of Spring, unseasonably warm, and Bad Company's new album had just reached number one. We took the 62 Archer downtown and bummed around Chinatown. From there we ranged up State Street past Warshawsky Auto Parts, Mexican Joe's Chili Parlor, and the scrap metal pits, talking of Kiss, Aerosmith and Robert Fripp. Her ability to discuss Fripp put her in league wtih those long-torsoed teenage boy-men who were not Canadian but could've been. We ended up on the short of Lake Michigan, on the wet, sloping cement behind the Shedd Aquarium. Air guitar rhythms spilled forth from her like condensation off a carburetor. What was once sacred became familiar:

"I think all Masses should be celebrated with Stratocasters!"

(to be continued)

1 Comments:

Blogger Todd Colby said...

I love this website, and thank you all in advance for reading this thread... O.K. So I need a small shrub (4 - 8 feet) to soften an area in my front yard. This area gets full sun right now, however, my neighbor just planted a red maple and I just planted a river birch, which will (eventually) shade out the area, so I guess I am looking for a shrub that can withstand sun as well as shade. The shrub doesn't necessarily have to be an evergreen, but if it is not, I would like the shrub to have berries that the birds ignore at least until Dec., or possibly some interesting bark or something. I am looking for a shrub that has ANYKIND of wildlife value, whether it be berries, cover, nectar--- whatever... I was considering some kind of mountain laurel (elf), as it is the state flower of PA (and CT, where I grew up), but I am not quite sure what the wildlife value of this shrub is. Oh, yeah--- I am looking for NATIVE shrubs only please! Thank you all for your input. I will diligently research any and all suggestions.

4:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home