Friday, September 08, 2006

I Wanted To Write A Canticle of Exhaltation and Praise

for Todd Colby

Thank you for asking me to submit to your magazine,
Dead Fluffy Coyote,
but I haven’t been writing much poetry lately.
I’ve been rockin’.
Or, I should say, rockin’ again.
Because I used to rock.
I started rockin’ at the age of ten,
me and my sister sitting with Dad in the Rambler,
watching the planes take off and land.
In fact, that’s where I first rocked:
in that Rambler, with a transistor radio pressed to my ear.
And I rocked for a long time.
A pretty long fuckin’ time!
But then somebody came along and made me self-conscious about rockin’.
Somebody said my rockin’ was “anti-intellectual.”
They said I’d never get a tenure-track job
teaching creative writing at a university
if I didn’t stop rockin’.
So I stopped rockin’.
What was I thinking?
Didn’t I understand that, yes,
the heavy bombardment was a hellish environment
but also the natural condition of creation?
Oh, you brilliant neurotics, syphilitics
and hyperpriapic lead guitarists — you knew.
Proust knew in his cork-lined room
that rockin’ arises afresh daily from every afflicted attitude,
and even not rockin’
forms a bridge between forgotten continents.
I may have epilepsy, brain atrophy, “milk leg,”
bottleflies infesting my eyes,
and the belief that my legs and arms are angry clowns,
but I’m rockin’ like a cross between
Anna Akhmatova and Dolly Parton,
like broken post-Bolshevik teacups and flea markets.
Oh, too late came I to love you,
rockin’ so ancient and so new!
Oh Lucifer, light-bringer,
singer of our hymns to failure,
cut us loose from our tribal pieties,
our forebodings at what this new age means,
for we shall be known by new names.
And if our decency is fatigued
let us eat its meat with similar spoons.
Who knows the secrets of the universe,
whether Marilyn Monroe had eleven toes?
Rockin’ knows.
Like the bone at the beginning of “2001”,
what befell the beginning keeps befalling,
and something old and mostly forgotten
can rock the marginalized fifty million.
We’re always being asked to do the impossible,
and so now I’m asking you to rock.
I’m begging you to rock.
I have no doubts about your faults.
But your faults give birth to a dancing star.
Sure, harsh carcasses are criss-crossing the pit,
souls fluttering up the rotunda like confetti
but joy lurks there.
I know ‘cause I’ve been there.
It’s hard to get back what’s been forgotten.
But it’s easy to start rockin’.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home